Brigidine College, St Ives and Jamaican poundBrigidine College is an Independent Roman Catholic day school for girls in grades 7 to 12. It is located in the suburb of St. Ives, on the North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.Established in 1954 by the Brigidine Sisters, Brigidine has a non-selective enrolment policy and it caters for approximately 900 students from years 7 to 12. The majority of students are drawn from the Northern Beaches, North Shore and Forest areas of Sydney.The school is affiliated with the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA), the Association of Independent Schools of New South Wales (AIS NSW), the Alliance of Girls' Schools Australasia, and is a member of the Association of Heads of Independent Girls' Schools (AHIGS).Contents 1 History 2 Motto 3 Principals 4 Campus 5 Governance 6 Notable alumnae 7 See also 8 References 9 External linksHistoryThe Brigidine Sisters opened Brigidine College, a secondary college for girls, on its current site in St Ives, on 9 February 1954, with nine foundation pupils. The site on which the college was built had previously been an orchard and dairy, and was still surrounded by semi-rural properties.The Brigidine Sisters remained the administrators and teachers of the College until 1995. MottoThe College Motto, Fortiter et Suaviter, often interpreted as "Strength and Gentleness", originates from the foundation of the Brigidine Congregation in Ireland by Bishop Daniel Delany in 1807.The school's mission is: "Brigidine College St Ives commits itself to education that is centred on the Gospel and is faithful to the Catholic community and the Brigidine heritage." Principals CampusThe current facilities of the college include: Henry Lindo Tennis Courts - two full size competition courts and one court also marked as a netball court. The Convent - Administration area, including Reception and Student Services for Years 11–12. McCammon Wing - Year 11 and 12 classroom and recreation areas, Centre for Excellence, Independent Learning Centre, Senior Study Areas, Student Services (including Counsellors and Youth Minister) Gymnasium - Two classrooms; full sized court for netball, basketball, volleyball; change rooms Bowie Hall - A 1,000 seat hall for assemblies, functions and performances St Brigid’s Chapel and Religious Education Centre - Religious Education classrooms and offices; Chapel seating 160 people. Romuald Visual Arts Centre - A dedicated Visual Arts Centre with senior studio, three classrooms, sculpture courtyard and multi-media area. McMahon Wing - Year 10 classrooms and courtyard; Student Services Yrs 7–10; Textile and Design and Drama areas Murray Wing - 5 refurbished Science laboratories and a "Fresh-Express" Canteen. Synan Wing - Classrooms for Years 7–9, offices for Year Co-ordinators, Learning Support, Chisholm Centre. Connolly Wing - Ground Floor: Design and Technology workshops; First Floor: Music Classrooms and Practice Rooms Sr Adrian Wing - Computing classrooms Kinkead Library - Library resources; wide reading area; information laboratory; video library for staff resources. College Green - Recreation area for students Quadrangle - Shaded recreation area GovernanceIn 1999 the College was incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee and a board was appointed, with responsibility for governance and leading the College in pursuit of its mission. The board is appointed by the Trustees of the Sisters of the Brigidine Congregation. Parents are represented on the College Board, as are the Brigidine Sisters and other members of the Catholic educational community. The Principal of the College is appointed by the Board and is charged with the responsibility of administering the College. Notable alumnae Lisa Hensley – T.V and movie actress Annette Andre – Star of 1960s cult British series, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) Sarah Stephens – Model Bella Ferraro - X Factor 2012 See also List of non-government schools in New South Wales
Jamaican pound and Brigidine College, St IvesThe pound was the official currency of Jamaica between 1840 and 1969. It circulated as a mixture of British currency and local issues and was always equal to the British pound. The Jamaican pound was also used by the Cayman Islands and Turks and Caicos Islands. HistoryThe history of currency in Jamaica should not be considered in isolation of the wider picture in the British West Indies as a whole. See Currencies of the British West Indies. The peculiar feature about Jamaica was the fact that it was the only British West Indies territory to use special regional issues of the sterling copper coinage. (Exceptions to this are a copper penny issued in the Bahamas in 1806, and also the four pence groat coin which was specially issued for all the British West Indies, and later only for British Guiana.)The earliest money in Jamaica was Spanish copper coins called maravedíes. This relates to the fact that for nearly four hundred years Spanish dollars, known as pieces of eight were in widespread use on the world's trading routes, including the Caribbean Sea region. However, following the revolutionary wars in Latin America, the source of these silver trade coins dried up. The last Spanish dollar was minted at the Potosi mint in 1825. The United Kingdom had adopted a very successful gold standard in 1821, and so the year 1825 was an opportune time to introduce the British sterling coinage into all the British colonies. An imperial order-in-council was passed in that year for the purposes of facilitating this aim by making sterling coinage legal tender in the colonies at the specified rating of $1 = 4s 4d (One Spanish dollar to four shillings and four pence sterling). As the sterling silver coins were attached to a gold standard, this exchange rate did not realistically represent the value of the silver in the Spanish dollars as compared to the value of the gold in the British gold sovereign, and as such, the order-in-council had the reverse effect in many colonies. It had the effect of actually driving sterling coinage out, rather than encouraging its circulation. Remedial legislation had to be introduced in 1838 so as to change over to the more realistic rating of $1 = 4s 2d. However, in Jamaica, British Honduras, Bermuda, and later in the Bahamas also, the official rating was set aside in favour of what was known as the 'Maccaroni' tradition in which a British shilling, referred to as a 'Maccaroni', was treated as one quarter of a dollar. The common link between these four territories was the Bank of Nova Scotia which brought in the 'Maccaroni' tradition, resulting in the successful introduction of both sterling coinage and sterling accounts. In 1834 silver coins of threepence and three half penny (1½ pence) were introduced, valued at ½ real and ¼ real. The three halfpenny came to be called "quartile" or "quatties." These in particular were used in church collections due to a feeling by the black population that copper coins were inappropriate for that purpose. Hence, they came to be called "Christian quatties".In 1839 an act was passed by Parliament declaring that as of December 31, 1840, only British coinage would be legal tender in Jamaica, demonitizing all of the Spanish coins, with the exception of the gold doubloon which was valued at £3 4s. Coins in use were thus the farthing (¼d), halfpenny, penny, three halfpenny (1½d), threepence, sixpence, shilling, florin (2s), half crown (2s6d), and crown (5s).The emancipation of the slaves in 1838 increased the need for coinage in Jamaica, particularly low denomination coins, but the blacks were still reluctant to use copper. The solution was to use cupronickel, adopted in 1869. Penny and halfpennies were minted for use in Jamaica, becoming the first truly Jamaican coins. Beginning in 1880, the farthing was also minted in cupronickel.In 1904, the Currency Notes Law was passed, “constituting a Board of Commissioners to issue notes called currency notes for the value of 10 shillings each,” although no such notes were issued at that time. This law was amended by Law 17 of 1918 which authorized “the issue of currency notes for such denominations as may be approved.” The Commissioners of Currency issued the first notes under these laws on 15 March 1920, in the denominations of 2 shillings 6 pence, 5 shillings, and 10 shillings, with each note carrying the inscription that they were “Issued under the authority of Law 27 of 1904 & Law 17 of 1918.” Only these three smaller denominations were issued by the Board of Commissioners; 1- and 5-pound notes were issued by the chartered banks operating in Jamaica. In 1940, the government bank began producing £1 and £5 notes.In October 1960, the Bank of Jamaica was given the sole right to mint coins and produce banknotes in Jamaica. Their notes were released on May 1, 1961 in the denominations of 5s, 10s, £1 and £5.On January 30, 1968, the Jamaican House of Representatives voted to decimalize the currency, introducing a new dollar worth 10s, and divided into 100 cents (1 cent thus being equal to 1.2d). At the time, coins of 1 cent (1.2d), 5 cents (6d), 10 cents (1s), 20 cents (2s) and 25 cents (2s6d) were produced and banknotes of 50 cents (5s), $1 (10s), $2 (£1), and $10 (£5). These coins and banknotes went into circulation on September 8, 1969.The new Jamaican dollar (and the Cayman Islands dollar) differed from all the other dollars in the British West Indies in that it was essentially a half-pound sterling. All the other dollars either began on the US dollar unit or the Spanish dollar unit.
112/282 109 110 111 113 114 115 116 r112 slankamen